Visionary Brazilian Architect Inspires Converse to Create a Curved Collection
The new footwear collection was born out of a shared passion for creative expression as part of a collaborative effort between Converse and the Oscar Niemeyer Foundation. Inspired by Niemeyer’s motto “It is not the right angle that attracts me…,” the exclusive range celebrates the Brazilian architect’s non-linear design ethos that is present in all of his works.
“Converse footwear includes some of the most iconic, original and modern designs in history,” says Penny Ericson, Vice President, Converse Jack Purcell and Premium. “As one of the great artistic visionaries of our time, Oscar Niemeyer’s work represents those same qualities and we’re excited to help bring that to life with this new collection.”
The Converse x Oscar Niemeyer collection features five new iterations of Converse silhouettes:
- The Chuck Taylor All Star Hi sneaker with an all-over canvas print featuring the architect’s famous handwritten poem about curves;
- The Chuck Taylor All Star Oxford model continues the use of the red curve, this time outlining the edge of the upper, creating a bold contrast to the sneaker’s white canvas;
- Chuck Taylor All Star Chukka Boot rendered in a rich, natural suede, was inspired by the monument “Torture Never More”, designed by Niemeyer in 1986;
- Converse Skid Grip Oxford slip-on features the signature curve as a red outline of the upper and an additional reference to the poem of Curves on the right shoe’s toe;
- Jack Purcell sneaker features a red and white lace option and the signature Jack “smile” as a playful representation of Niemeyer’s curve.
The collection is unfortunately only available in Brazil, which is where the legendary architect still resides to this day in Rio De Janeiro. Even if you can’t get your hands on the Neimeyer x Converse collection, it can still be celebrated as another winning collection for the sneaker brand.