Fashion is an industry that produce beautiful images to sell products. From beauty to clothing,from men magazines to selling insurance, photography most of the time is trying to sell a dream, to awake a desire that finally will materialize in buying the product.
I’m ok with it and most of us I think but when imagery is crossing a line and it’s becoming fantasy that’s not anymore advertising it is a totally a misunderstanding of what actually people want and need.
Because in a society that with everyday is becoming more chaotic it is more and more difficult to stay true to yourself. A society of consumerism that is creating its ideal consumer that generally has nothing to do with the real one. And this creates a pressure not easy to handle sometimes that can create permanent damage.
Body image is no longer and maybe never was an issue that concern women only, men are affected these days equally.
I’m not saying that fashion industry is totally responsable for creating body image issues but let’s admit it : at least one time in our life looking at a magazine you start questioning your own physical aspect. I for sure did it and I was a model and I never had weight issues but sometimes the pressure still is.
It is our desire to be perfect,to be desirable,to be loved that creates our insecurities and it is only our will power that will release us from the mirage of perfection created by some industries.
Photoshop is one of the main stars when you think at commercial photography.In a video called “Body Evolution.” created in 2011 by GlobalDemocracy.com to demand mandatory disclaimers on all photos of airbrushed models, demonstrates just how much a computer is capable of changing a body, changing the reality.
So the images you see in media generally undergo this process then we should work at that will power I was talking about and focus on what it is really important : being healthy,happy to create the life you really want for yourself!
I should remember this more often!
- Body Image – What You Can Do (lawless1spoonery.wordpress.com)
- Photoshop Gifs Make You Wonder Why We Have Models At All (jezebel.com)
- Photoshop ‘Body Evolution’ Video Blows Our Minds (huffingtonpost.com)
- Why The Thigh Gap Trend Is The Worst (styleblazer.com)
- Comfortably Racist Fashion Industry (yourstyleforecast.com)
- It’s Different for Girls…Body Image and Riding. (annablakeblog.com)
- Kanye West Denounces Luxury Brands for Being Too Expensive (bet.com)
- Robyn Lawley’s ‘Thigh Gap’ Article Proves ‘Plus Size’ Models Get More Leeway In The Body Image Wars (thegloss.com)
- selling dreams: ‘100 years of fashion photography’ (aileejohnston.wordpress.com)
- First Look: A Photographer Rethinks Female Beauty (nymag.com)