Yesterday the auction house Sotheby’s was lucky to not only set a record price for the work of the American artist Andy Warhol , but also to sell the most expensive diamond in the world . Such a large amount was never gave at any auction before for just one gem , as for the ” Pink Star ” .The diamond was auctioned in Geneva for 68 million Swiss francs (74.1 million dollars).
According to the head of the European and Middle East Office of Sotheby’s International the stone Pink Star is the biggest and the most rosy of all pink diamonds known to date .” The diamond weighs 59.6 carats.
Main rival of Sotheby’s the auction house Christie’s sold also this week for 31.5 million dollars the world’s largest orange pear-cut diamond,which has the size and shape of an almond .
- Pink diamond sold for more than $83 million (cnsnews.com)
- “Pink Star” diamond sells for world record $73.99 million at auction (today.com)
- Orange Diamond Sells for $36 Million at Christie’s (bloomberg.com)
- 59.6-Carat Pink Star Diamond Sells For World Record $83 Million (forbes.com)
- Pink Diamond Sets $83 Million Record for Priciest Gem – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Pink diamond sold for record price (independent.ie)
- Pink Star: Is this the world’s most expensive diamond? Gem to sell for £37 million (mirror.co.uk)